Sunday, 24 September 2017

GLIMPSING THE MORRIGAN ~ A new painting.



Twenty years ago I woke from sleep, heart hammering and paralysed with fear. 
In a corner of my room darkness gathered, a shadow draped figure stood watching.

I closed my eyes but she remained. 

Finally, finding my voice I asked her name, already knowing who she was. 
Mór Ríoghan, The Morrigan, Great Queen of Ireland.




Then she left me terrified, enthralled and questioning. 


Over the years she came again; a shape moving through dark leaves, a chill gust raising crows to flight, 
always wreathed in shadows.

On the eve of my departure for Ireland she returned. 
Now victorious with bloodied hair and hands, dark thorny, flowers. 


Living in her land, her shape still undefined, her intention became clear.  


Much later, one Samhain sunset, eyes open in trance, I saw her cave beneath the naked thorn.



Her cave Uaigh na gCat, Co. Roscommon.


Saw fierce clouds gather in a storm bruised sky and watched as she emerged,



rising on the beat of wings to call. 



And claim her own.

***

The images in this post are work-in-progress photographs.

‘THE MORRIGAN RISES’ my original painting, measuring approx 15" x 22”, is for sale.
Art cards and prints of ‘THE MORRIGAN RISES’ are available by sending a message on this blog
- form at the foot of the Home Page - or by visiting my Facebook Shop HERE

Details of prices are HERE










No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this blog please leave your thoughts in a comment and I will respond. I moderate this blog so Anonymous comments & Spam will be deleted.